Monday, August 15, 2011

Mountain of the Moon - the book

This is a labour of love - I first read the book when I was five years old, and finally at the age of 58, I decided to translate this into English.

This blog is dedicated to my translation: it has been accepted by a major publisher, and should be hitting the stands soon, hopefully very soon. 

Called "Chander Pahar" in the original Bengali, this book is one of the perennial favourites of any Bengali. Chronicling the adventures of a young Bengali man in the forests of Africa. It is considered to be one of the most important adventure novels written in the Bengali language. It is written by one of the greatest writers in the language - Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay, who also wrote Pather Panchali, immortalised in film by Satyajit Ray.

When I was five, a little girl, my classmate at school, gave me a copy of the book. Two years ago, when I went searching for a more recent copy, what I found was the very same edition, no changes at all. The cover illustration and the drawings in the book had been done by Satyajit Ray. Here's the cover:


















In future posts, I will talk about other aspects of the book and my translation.


2 comments:

  1. Jayanta, your cover is fascinating, too! Classic dark, exciting Africa! When will the book be released? Am reserving an autographed copy for myself, of course!
    Rajan Nair

    ReplyDelete