Sunday, September 11, 2011

Explorers of East Africa

While reading 'Chander Pahar', I was as fascinated by East Africa as Bibhutibhushan and Shankar. I started reading about explorers of Africa, thanks to the excellent collection at the British Council Library in Kolkata during my school and college days. Their names - James Bruce (here's a picture of him), René-Auguste Caillié, Samuel Baker, Sir Richard Burton (no, not the actor), Speke, David Livingstone, Henry Stanley, Paul du Chaillu, and many others - were magical to me as a child, and still more magical to me as an adult, now that I have some kind of appreciation of their efforts, trials, and achievements.

As a tiny tribute, I have put together a gallery of these gallant men:
















There are two short but fine articles here and here. You might enjoy them. 

I have always imagined Diego Alvarez to be one such intrepid traveler, always drawn to the unknown and the dangerous, as were these men. 

No comments:

Post a Comment